Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 13:58:58 -0800
Well the bias will out.
It is true that the two disciplines are separate in many HE
institutions. This reality reflects a bias within the library community.
With a couple of archives courses under their belt, most MLIS graduates
believe they are fully qualifies to be Archivists. The idea is
reinforced in their community by requiring an MLIS degree to be an
Archivist. It is a chicken and egg thing. I don't believe that the
records community as a whole is well represented by this idea.

MLIS education is more closely related to manuscript and special
collections than Archives management. Librarians are most concerned with
secondary source materials. Archivists and Records Managers are directly
involved with primary source materials. This is never more evident than
when we address electronic records/

The immediacy of the medium requires a comprehensive understanding of
both disciplines. The more each understands the other, the better the
decision making process. Unless the RM can identify permanent records at
or near the point of creation, historical records will be lost. Unless
the Archivist can comprehend the processes that create a body of
historical records the information that makes an historical record may
be lost.

The unfortunate reality is that Archivists are indeed being relegated to
a secondary role in HE. The vacuum created is being filled, not by
Records Managers, but by IT folk. If the historical record is to be
preserved, with all the metadata required, then IMHO the Records
Managers will need to become much more adept at applying archival theory
and principles.

In larger HE organizations the RM program should seek out and develop
competencies in archival practices. If the tend towards moving
Archivists into special collections continues, then as RM professionals
we need to develop the ability to manage permanent records.

The ratio of interest between the Archivist and the Records Manager
should, and IMHO, be 100% across the board. Unless the Archivist can
ensure a high enough degree of record integrity for the permanent
records, they wil be essentially lost to history. I am not saying that
Archivists need to be CRMs. I not saying that CRMs need to get certified
as Archivists (I recommend it, but I am not saying it). They both need
to have a relative command and understanding of the others area of
responsibility.

Chris Flynn