From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:38:55 -0500
Daniel,

If they are adding staff - can't they use the job description and salary range they are already using?  If they are trying to benchmark their current practices against the rest of the wild and wacky world, then ... there are many salary surveys out there for purchase that are used and respected by HR professionals.

I would recommend that your employer consider purchasing one or some - and honestly am a bit surprised that you don't already - since you are in a business where that kind of information would be critical, not only for recruiting services but to set billing rates for any outsourcing work, etc.

We use surveys every year when recommending and setting salaries in all positions at our firm (including records clerks and a records coordinator).  You might want to get in touch with SHRM (the Society for Human Resources Management), at least as a jumping off point to get their opinion on the best/most respected surveys.  (www.shrm.org)

As for job descriptions, ARMA has a publication in their bookstore (it's a little old though - pub'd in 1991).  ARMA is actively working on this issue with its Competency project - we should be seeing more in terms of standard RIM job descriptions over the next year, or at the very least, minimum skill sets and experience levels anticipated/expected at the different stages of the RIM profession.

Good luck - Julie

Julie Colgan
Manager of Records Services
Arnall Golden Gregory LLP
Tel: 404.873.8164
Fax: 404.439.1811
[log in to unmask]  <mailto:[log in to unmask] >

Note:
This message and any attachments from the law firm Arnall Golden Gregory LLP may contain CONFIDENTIAL and legally protected information.  If you are not the addressee and an intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others; also, please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.