From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 10:29:15 -0800

> Has anyone done any work that they could share with me which critically
> evaluates ISO 15489 as a framework for professional use?

Aside from the two Cdn links (both at least 2 years old) and the advice from
Rick B to look for examples where DIRKS has been employed, were there other
examples of real-world application of ISO 15489 in  a business environment
provided that I missed?

This is an issue for me, in that I have seen many presentations where
individuals have cited their attempts to utilize some aspects of ISO 15489
in the development of best practices for RIM in their organizations.  Others
have developed checklists to determine how well they are aligned with the
recommendations in Part 2 of ISO 15489, but I've yet to see HARD EXAMPLES of
it being applied.

I know there is resistance to it's use (primarily in the US) because it's
difficult to quantify the value of applying the recommended practices, and
unlike ISO 9001 and 14001it's nearly impossible to "certify" that an
organization is in compliance with it, or is there a direct requirement
stated anywhere they anyone HAS TO comply with it.  By that I mean with
9001/14001, if your organization doesn't comply (and that's done by being
certified by some "body") you can't do business with EU companies.

I've heard that there is language in ISO 17779 that makes reference to
document manageemnt needing to be compatible with the requirements stated in
ISO 15489, but haven't seen the exact language and have not been able to
determine if you could be considered out of compliance with 17779 if you're
not following 15489 completely.

Any more info here from anyone?

I'm not suggesting that it isn't a good idea to follow ISO 15489 principles,
I'm just trying to find out WHY it's so difficult to find organizations that
have adopted it as written.

Larry
--
Larry Medina