From:
Patrick Cunningham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 09:06:49 -0800
Looking at those items (and some of the other items out there) makes me
itchy. Those lab notebooks really should belong to RCA in my opinion,
but that is based upon current records thinking. I suppose that in
years past (these are from the 1960's), it was common for a scientist
to maintain his or her own lab notebooks and these were acquired by the
seller from an estate. In today's world, those would be intellectual
property of RCA and the scientist would have signed an agreement with
their employer that assigned all rights to patents nad inventions to
the company. Again, in years past, that may not have been the case.

Still, having experienced (long ago in my career) the dismay of an
archivist who thought he found a Lincoln document, only to open the
book and see the page neatly scissored out, it pains me to see things
like this -- that really feel like records that have been taken from
their rightful owner.

Patrick Cunningham, CRM