From:
Maarja Krusten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 15:39:09 -0500
Interesting issue, one that I don't know much about.

Question for the List.  Wouldn't the old, paper-based equivalent of the
"Charlie" burning information on CDs be an employee who xeroxed extra
copies of materials for himself?  Haven't employees at countless
organizations done that for years, even for decades?  I mean taking
home paper duplicates for whatever reason, including convenience of
reference when working on work-related projects on the weekend?  If
that was not considered a problem in the old days, why would the
existence of newer electronic tools make this a greater problem? I
would guess that much of that duplicative convenience material was not
destroyed at the same time the office of primary responsibility
destroyed the record copies within the workplace.

What has been the legal impact of paper convenience copies kept at home
over the years, in terms of reach of subpoenas served on employers,
discovery, etc?  Of course, I understand the point about the ease with
which people can carry flash drives, etc.  I'm just curious as to how
this played out in the old days when employees walked out, taking home
a folder of paper copies with which to work at home.  And did it with
their employers' implicit or explicit blessing.  I don't mean people
removing copies with nefarious intent, I mean the normal sort of work
at home stuff that many diligent people have done from time to time.
To the extent any of you can speak to that, I'd be interested to know
how the legal angles worked out in the pre-e-record age.

As to remote access, etc., as many of you know, in the private and
public sectors, depending on the type of workplace, there has been a
big push on to allow employees to telework from home.
http://www.telework.gov/documents/tw_rpt03/status-initiatives.asp

Maarja

Maarja