From:
John Montaña <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:01:20 -0500
There's a case called Public Citizen v. Carlin that explicitly rejects the
argument that metadata must be preserved.  I think from a legal and
evidentiary standpoint, you would want to prove:

1) that the set of records is complete, with no gaps;
2) that whatever it is you have decided to do, you have consistently and
accurately done; and
3) that to the extent attachments were there, that they can be identified,
and if relevant produced.

This satisfies all current legal doctrine, whether accomplished by
preservation of the original metadata, or by some other means.

John Montaņa
General Counsel
Cunningham & Montaņa, Inc.
29 Parsons Road