From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 20:55:55 -0700
Hi Nolene,

Many organizations document their scanning processes, but to significantly
varying degrees. This is in part because scanning applications differ quite
a bit in what they document automatically in audit trails and system logs.
I'd say at a minimum you want to document the procedure used, such as how QC
is performed (100%, statistical sample, random sample), how indexing is done
and verified, where images are stored once QC is complete, that type of
information. In the example you cite, I'd want to know the process the
department uses to verify the image accuracy and quality.

Note also that at least in the US, as far as I know every state has enacted
the Uniform Photographic Copies of Business and Public Records as Evidence
Act, which states that "...Such reproduction, when satisfactorily
identified, is as admissible in evidence as the original itself in any
judicial or administrative proceeding, whether the original is in existence
or not...." Usual caveat applies here - I am not a lawyer (IANAL) - but the
admissibility of an image is the same as the admissibility of a photocopy
generally speaking. Where the process part comes in is in the types of
information I noted above - the general processes and procedures followed,
not the specifics of *this* TIFF or *that* PDF.

Hope this helps,

Jesse Wilkins
CDIA+, EDP, LIT/ERM, ICP, ERMs, ECMs
IMERGE Consulting