From:
"Gervais, JohnA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:35:18 -0400
Ginny's comment: "After nearly 40 years in this profession, it still amazes me how many folks
believe no one will ever see what they have written (either on paper or
electronically..."

Oh how true that comment is!  I remember when the photocopier first became big and we had to create policies on reproducing documents.  Now in the electronic age there is always a copy of a document somewhere.  Even when you think you have deleted it, the document can be recovered in most cases.  When you send an e-mail to just one person, you don't know how many times that information has been forwarded, viewed by whom and to where it has been sent. You also don't have any control on how the information is manipulated after it leaves your hands as well.

When we create information in the performance of our jobs, the information belongs to the employer, so it behoves us to be professional and retain integrity, not only of the content, but the message.  Always "assume" (we all know what that means) that it will be viewed by others.

Retention periods are based on legislative, fiscal, legal, operational and administrative requirements.  You always want to ensure the requirements meet these, at a minimum.  However, it doesn't mean you can't keep the records longer.  I agree totally with educating, persuading, cajoling and constantly reminding staff of their responsibilities for retaining the "corporate memory".  There are many ways to do this e.g. seminars, new employee indoctrination program, posters, use intranets, IM Day, e-mails, IM/RM training sessions, face-to-face meetings etc.  It is a matter of leveraging every opportunity you can of spreading and preaching the records and information management gospel!

John

John A. Gervais
Program Manager
Policy and Guidelines Section
Information Policy and Governance Division
Statistics and Information Management Directorate
Corporate Strategies and Business Development Branch
Canada Revenue Agency
320 Queen St., Place de Ville, Tower A, 6th Fl.,
Ottawa, ON, Canada, K1A 0L5
Tel: 1-613-946-0245
Facsimile: 1-613-941-9649
E-mail: mailto:[log in to unmask]