Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 17:36:39 -0700
Having been around engineering drawings for a few years it has been my experience that they are normally produced as
follows:

1.	Bid Set (Used or produced to accompany the bid documents to the vendor)
2.	Construction Set, plus approved changes (Used during the project construction)
3.	"As Built" Set (Produced as the final set upon completion of the project)

If the above is correct, then I could assume that:

1.	Bid Set:  Retention could be established that the drawings could be destroyed with the Bid documents based on
notification date of the selected vendor, plus whatever years established by the organization.
2.	Construction Set:  Retention could be established that the documents could be destroyed upon closure of the
project, plus whatever years established by the organization.
3.	"As Built":  Permanent or on sale or destruction of the entity.

Question:  If you had an established document management system for the drawing set and you indexed each individual
drawing would you do so for the Bid Set and Construction Set or only index the "As Built" and changes to the "As Built"?

It has been my contention that the Bid and Construction drawings are temporary in nature and would not be indexed.

I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Bob Dalton, CRM
Dalton Consulting
253-229-4555