From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2006 20:50:18 -0700

> 1.      Bid Set (Used or produced to accompany the bid documents to the
> vendor)

Comments may be submitted by bidder with respect to these drawings that
result in a change prior to construction, or may be used to defend selection
of one constructor over another.  Marked up bid drawings (generally existing
ONLY in hard copy) are sometimes retained to satisfy claims from
non-successful bidders.

2.      Construction Set, plus approved changes (Used during the project
> construction)

And any vendor's drawings, calculations, specifications, materials lists,
etc., related to the construction.

3.      "As Built" Set (Produced as the final set upon completion of the
> project)

With copy of markup stamped and signed by registered engineer certifying
content as depicted in the markups.  Unfortunately, if the facility is a
public building, or a building with public spaces, these are generally held
for many years past content being included in the final As-Builts.  A case
in point was the hotel in the KC area with the suspended catwalks that
failed due to harmonic distortion, and that was due to the contractor
electing to build the facility in a more "aesthetically pleasing" manner
than required by the drawings, and fortunately for the  engineer who
designed it, he had the signed markups indicating the change took place
during construction.

If the above is correct, then I could assume that:

> 1.      Bid Set:  Retention could be established that the drawings could
> be destroyed with the Bid documents based on notification date of the
> selected vendor, plus whatever years established by the organization.

Generally, drawings carry the same number from concept through as-built, so
what you would have here is actually a "version" of the drawings.  Many
systems use alpha revisions prior to construction, then numeric revisions
from that point forward.

2.      Construction Set:  Retention could be established that the documents
> could be destroyed upon closure of the project, plus whatever years
> established by the organization.

May need to check with applicable State and/or Local agencies to determine
if there are any "code" requirements for retention of construction drawings
to satisfy legal issues similar to those mentioned earlier.  These are
generally stamped and sealed by a RPE for the discipline they are related to
and that individual has some ongoing responsibility for the design.

In CA following the Loma Prieta earthquake, the State produced drawings of
the column construction of the Grove Shafter Freeway in Oakland that
collapsed, killing a number of people and was able to show that the State
wasn't negligent in the construction, because the RPE designed the columns
to then acceptable standards.

3.      "As Built":  Permanent or on sale or destruction of the entity.

For Federal facilities of "significant value, or unique design" the
requirement is 75 years beyond destruction of the facility.  And for
historic buildings, I believe it is permanent.

Question:  If you had an established document management system for the
> drawing set and you indexed each individual drawing would you do so for the
> Bid Set and Construction Set or only index the "As Built" and changes to the
> "As Built"?

We always retained the index information of ALL revisions from concept
through As-Built, and for future construction as well.  We also retained the
microfilm aperture cards, but only retained the CAD files for the
Construction and As-Built revisions, and the latest revision.

It has been my contention that the Bid and Construction drawings are
> temporary in nature and would not be indexed.

I don't think this is "wrong", but the volume of the data may be rather
minimal and it might be worth retaining for historic purposes to show issue
dates, revision history and approvals (we indexed all of these fields,
including a 3 character set of initials of the approvers, which was
maintained in a database including their full names, RPE State and Number,
as well as the expiration date)

I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

That's all I've got, Bob.

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA