From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2006 13:43:37 -0400
<I would like to know the stance and level of involvement/responsibility
your Legal Department takes in this matter.>

Blake:
As Records Manager, I develop, establish and review the retention
periods for our records and records groups (electronic).  This includes
all interviews with users, legal research, requirements research, etc.
I then draft the retention schedule (or revised retention periods) and
send it to our RIM Steering Committee (user reps from each Division) for
review and consensus.  Once consensus is reached, it is sent to the
Department Director for approval.  Once his approval is obtained, it is
sent to the City Attorney for review and approval.  Once approved by the
City Attorney it is sent to the State for approval as a
locality-specific retention schedule.  Obviously, each review/approval
step involves comments, questions, revisions, etc. until all issues are
resolved.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager