From:
"Cunningham, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 08:16:08 -0500
For all you certification junkies out there....

The International Association for Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
[disclaimer] of which I am a member [end of disclaimer] offers the CIPP
(Certified Information Privacy Professional) as well as a number of
educational opportunities. There is the Daily Dashboard of information
privacy issues that I receive via email that I find helpful. The IAPP
website is at:

https://www.privacyassociation.org/

The IAPP has 2600 members and covers all aspects of information privacy.
The CIPP exam is $245 and covers privacy law, technology, operations and
information management. The test is multiple choice, consists of 5 parts
and is given over 2 hours. The parts are 1) Privacy Law and Compliance,
2) Workplace privacy, 3) Information Security, 4) Web Privacy and
Security and 5) Data Sharing and Transfer. 70% is required to pass. It
is now given at certain locations and times but they are looking into
other testing methods. The practice exam is here:

https://www.privacyassociation.org/images/stories/pdfs/CIPP_Practice_Exa
m_081706.pdf

Corporate members of the IAPP include AMEX, Ernst & Young, Deloitte &
Touche, HP, IBM, Intel, KPMG and the Ponemon Institute.

The CIPP does have different modules similar to the CRM/NR. There is the
CIPP/G for government and CIPP/C for Canada. There are continuing
education requirements but not exclusive to IAPP events.

After studying the laws on information security I found the content of
the IAPP very helpful to those dealing with privacy issues. I am having
my Information Security Officer take the test and I will do the same. I
am not sure what it is actually worth but I am finding the material to
be very useful.

Raymond K. Cunningham, Jr. CRM, CA
Manager of Records Services
University of Illinois Foundation