From:
"King, Douglas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 11:21:17 -0500
Just a few comments from my five years experience as Freedom of Information Officer for Sedgwick County Government (with the caution that I am not an attorney and know nothing about Ohio statutes) ...

"It depends" may be the best your general counsel's office can do off the top of its collective head. In KS, perhaps in OH and I know in other states, the status of university endowment associations, athletic associations, alumni support groups and other entities associated with, often quite closely, but distinct from the university as state entity may fall into a grey area for open records. If the status of records held by these non-profit corporations is not specifically addressed in OH statutes, then litigation and Attorney General opinions would define. Interpreting how case laws and AG opinions apply to your specific instance is a matter for your legal counsel to opine about. Your counsel may be able to seek AG advice.

I can understand your development office's hesitancy in releasing donor information, and I think your legal counsel's initial comment reflects underlying legal issues. KS law allows names of donors to not be disclosed, if the donation is otherwise legal and anonymity is a condition of the donation -- OH may have a similar provision in its revised code. So, even if your open records law applies to the entity which received the donations at issue, an exclusion from mandatory disclosure may exist.

Here in KS a couple years back news media wanted to know what the KU athletic director was paid. As I recall, KU would only reveal compensation from the university itself, not additional compensation paid by the non-profit corporation. News media sued. Total compensation came out, eventually. And news media successfully revised the Kansas Open Records Act to clarify status of what these entities must disclose. News media also argues that open records laws should apply to entities that exist primarily on contracts from government agencies, such as nonprofits providing various social services.

// Douglas K. King, Records Manager / Freedom of Information Officer
\\  www.sedgwickcounty.org   "Sedgwick County ... working for you"