From:
"Golden, Steve (RBC Dain)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 2006 16:50:03 -0500
A couple of thoughts on the topic at hand.  I'll preface my thoughts
with this disclaimer:
I am a CRM; I am a member of ARMA, and of the same chapter to which the
newsletter referenced is made; I have not taken the AIIM course; and,
although I am a member of the ICRM board, my statements represent my
personal experiences and not a position of the ICRM...

1.  The exam questions that are in the newsletter are very likely from a
study guide, that contains some examples of questions--many of which
have been eliminated from the testing bank.  In other words, we don't
share live test questions in the study guide!
2.  With respect to the jobs that you are seeing in the workplace, more
and more employers are convinced that the certification can lead their
organizations toward a more well-rounded RM program.  A key difference
between the AIIM certificate and the CRM process is that any employer
can sponsor an employee through the AIIM course at any time.  The CRM
examination process is rigorous in and of itself, and you have to
qualify to take the test.  This all translates into an employer's
ability to seek an individual with an independently-qualified body of
knowledge in the field.  It has the same appeal as the CPA for this
purpose.
3.  To Bruce's point, as a board member, we'll occasionally get a sample
of questions that have been developed by members of the ICRM's Exam
Development Committee.  I can tell you with all candidness that the
questions are not antiquated!

There's certainly room for many options, and any advancement in one's
career is undoubtedly valuable to the individual and any employer they
represent.  I do not, however, think it's relevant to compare a
certificate with a professional certification that has ongoing
requirements--they are apples and oranges.

Steve Golden, CRM