From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:46:25 -0400
I was asked to post this by Mr. Glynn in response to our discussion as
when he tried to reply to the List he was blocked.  I suspect his
records manager showed him the discussion and he wished to make a
comment.

While this may be somewhat of a marketing plug for his company I
believe this is worthwhile to add to our contact lists as a day may
come where someone walks in with some critical media and says we cannot
read this!  Panic! Tantrum to follow! Legal becomes involved and the
CIO  or SOX Auditor says to the IT Manager and the Records Manager "How
can this happen?  Why are we storing records we cannot read?!!"

So Mr. Glynn's contact information may come in handy some day.  If
anyone else knows of another company that does this sort of service I
would like to have a couple contacts in my data base.  When the crucial
day comes, and with IT saving media they know longer even recognize,
this service will be critical to some of us at some point in time.
Sometimes knowing exactly who to contact is a set of valuable skills to
have.

Disclaimer:  I do not know Mr. Glynn, and until today did not know of
his company and his company's relationship with the premier archival
groups described below.  Since ours is an open forum, I felt this was
worth forwarding on per Mr. Glynn's request.  In a conversation I had
with the CFO of a top three accounting firm, hanging onto this old
media that is long pasts its viability or migration capability is a
ticking time bomb.  SOX is turning a poor management strategy into a
criminal offense.  When will this bomb go off, when the auditor or a
stockholder claims and irregularity and starts a more thorough
investigation. ARMA and the List should try to be a harbinger of this
message to management and thereby establish your role as the watchdog
of the entire vital records and media platform.

As for me, Tessella is now in my address book.  When I save somebody's
big fat........
salary and job, I will be a hero.

What did you think I was going to put after big fat ____?

Has anybody ever had to participate in such a recovery of data?  If so,
were you asked to be a witness for third party credibility?
We recently had a drive crater and we had to use a company to rebuild
the computer and we got a taste of our own medicine as we almost lost
financial records but we were able to rebuild the server as it turned
out to be mechanical and not a loss of data.  We were on the verge of
sending it to a federal agency that can do this work when we found out
the problem.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults

Begin forwarded message: