From:
"Colgan, Julie J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:10:57 -0400
I agree Peter.  All of the discussion about database "records" is very
interesting.  I may be exposing some ignorance here, but hey, what the
heck ...

I have always thought that "output" from a database is a record but that
the database itself and individual data objects/elements are not
records, due to their dynamic nature.  If that's the case, then it
implies that database-generated records, created on the fly in response
to a query (likely drawing elements from multiple tables), need to be
captured and preserved as a record at, or as close to, the point of
generation; and further, there wouldn't be an expectation that tomorrow
or next week that the results would necessarily be able to be
replicated.

I don't work in an environment in which the above is not the case.  The
database is used to create "output" which is what is managed as a record
(invoices, A/P reports, etc.).  Output may be a printed page or a
"document" saved to our DMS.  The data elements themselves are subject
to constant change as our business dictates.

For example, in our Accounting database, we maintain information
regarding which attorney earns the "origination" credit for a particular
case. Say when a case is first opened and entered into the system, we
associate origination with Attorney A.  However, during the course of
representation, Attorney A leaves the firm and we need to change the
origination credit to Attorney B.  The invoices (records generated by
querying multiple tables in the Accounting database) from the beginning
of the matter will return different results that those generated at the
close of the matter.

Help!  Am I horribly mistaken in my beliefs?  Are my experiences merely
a result of industry?  Tell me now so I have a chance to choose sessions
at Conference that will put me on the right path!!

Julie