From:
Steve Petersen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:32:50 -0500
Julie,
  I don't believe you're off -base and networking sessions :) should occur
if you need more information-not conference sessions.  Let's go ahead and
take this a step further and see if I can screw it up.

  First we need some definitions:

        Data ? A combination of characters or bytes referring to one
separate item of information such as names, addresses, etc. Such
information may be in numerical or word form and can be digitally
transmitted or processed as well as manually prepared and processed.

        Information ? Data placed in a meaningful context for users. A
subset of data, normally dynamic, that can be manipulated.

        Record ? A collection of related data fields that is used by an
organization as evidence of a business transaction or pursuant to a legal
obligation, in the normal course of business. Records are a subset of data
that is static and unchanging.

These definitions describe  electronic records as a small sub-set of data.
 Now that's not to say that you don't/shouldn't manage the data.  If you
don't
manage the data the databases that hold them continue to get larger and
performance issues or other problems can occur.  You also don't just want
archive all the data such that the archives continue to grow and be
cluttered.

My feeling is that you want to manage them as what SAP(or whatever db)
calls data objects and have a retention period for each object.  These
objects
are made up of a combination of data fields/tables that could be a common
part of multiple data objects.  After  all the objects have been given a
retention period you then look for the data fields contained in multiple
objects and assign the longest object retention period. This allows the
data to be
purged when no longer needed (after legal hold review).  It works the same
as when you snapshot the unstructured records and assigned a retention
series/period to them- They maintain the 4 record tenets and can be purged
consistently.  It may not be at the same time but if you show the decision

process and the lack of being able to generate a record that meets the
original you should be covered from a retention standpoint.  This is
similar to
the RIM lifecycle management model where you start to capture/manage
content at creation but only declare the content as an
official record on those items needing long-term retention- the rest is
destroyed when no longer needed.

Julie- In your "origination " credit example I think you should snapshot
both attorneys stuff and have them linked through some other metadata or
common field (case ?).  This way if there is any question concerning who
did what and in what sequence, it has an audit trail.

I hope this helps and isn't off-base or topic.

My 2 cents

Steve Petersen CRM
Records Manager
Rockwell Collins Inc