From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 09:06:18 -0400
On Oct 12, 2006, at 12:01 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

> From:    "Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: What about all the obsolete records formats? - kind of
> long
>
> <I have always thought that "output" from a database is a record but
> that the database itself and individual data objects/elements are not
> records, due to their dynamic nature.>
>
> Very true.  However, one must define what is an "output."

According to CFO's and Auditors, they are taking an entirely different
view in relation to SOX than they have in the past.  One told me that
email is now a permanent record.  How can this be? Half of it is spam.
Maybe only internal emails are?

But this is a great area for ARMA to play a role.  There really needs
to be some guidance here or soon we will be saving everything forever
which is what IT folk try to do only to be surprised that media has a
relatively short life span.

The dynamic changes in the industry are playing havoc with industry
perceptions.

I believe that under SOX that the entire Database is now a record as it
can produce a myriad of records therefore it is the primary source and
then accordingly is "Best Evidence."  If it is not today then I will
argue that the trends tell us that it soon will be.  (Unless of course
Records Managers can get a role in the process and refine the storage
methodology.

But as I have been told, I am ignorant and this is probably a
misconception on my part.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is
strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. Banc Tecnic Inc. dba FIRELOCK shall not be liable for the
improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. FIRELOCK does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference.