From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 13:24:49 -0500
Just a thought, but I think retrieving from a numeric or terminal digit
color coded, paper based system of 10,000 files would be faster than
it's electronic replacement.  When I do the math, 10,000 files (at 5 per
inch) fill only slightly more than 16 LFI of filing space.  Filing
guides would add additional guidance.  If I used the system often, I
would probably be able to spin around in my chair with my eyes closed
and get within a couple of inches of the correct file (practice makes
perfect).

However, retrieval is only a very small part of the equation.  Returning
the file to the system takes more time than pulling it out (and two
hands instead of one). Filing document in the folder cannot be automated
(unless you can tell someone else to do it). And providing copies is a
real pain.

I believe one can argue that a single aspect of just about anything that
is better/faster/cheaper/more comfortable than an electronic
alternative.  Then again, fishing for your supper is only relaxing if
you have steak in the freezer.

Bill R

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator