From:
"Roach, Bill J." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Oct 2006 17:14:47 -0500
>>I am new to the listserv and would love to hear from anyone who has
experience with an Electronic Document Management (Imaging) System<<

I would strongly suggest reviewing the archives
(http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/recmgmt-l.html ) as there is lots of
information available on who has what system and how they are using
them.  I would also suggest checking out vendor websites for case
studies, white papers and announcements.  Many of them are very
informative.

>>The pros and cons of the system.  Was it worth the investment?<<

You get what you pay for.  Used for active records, the ROI is
outstanding.  Use it to store documents you never intend to look at
again and it is a money pit.  For us, it is an invaluable tool that
increases efficiency, automates mundane activities and helps us provide
outstanding customer service.

>>What records series do you use it for?  What percentage of your
overall records is this?<<

We have the ability to use it for virtually every record series,
including indexing and managing those that cannot be stored in a digital
format.  Some agencies use the ECM solution for a specific type of
records, others are using it as their only repository for records,
eliminating paper files altogether.

>>Do you receive the records electronically (e.g., as email
attachments), or do you scan hard copies.  Do you retain hard copies of
the records you scan?<<

We can automatically store copies of electronically generated
information or scan documents on receipt.  We work towards electronic
capture whenever possible.  Scanned originals are disposed of very
quickly after scanning is complete.  We only retain the originals when
there is a regulatory or archival requirement for the originals (very
rare).

>>Do use the EDMS to distribute records to your clients?<<

We have a toolkit of ECM related technologies the enable us to
automatically distribute information, dynamically provide access to
stored content or generate and store personalized documents and forms
for distribution.

Bill R

Bill Roach, CRM
Enterprise EDMS Coordinator