From:
Rachel Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:57:35 -0600
We have developed a retention schedule which can also be used as a taxonomy
and are in the process of implementing it across our corporation.  It is
very high level and there is a retention code for each function.  In our
instance, if departments already have a filing system in place, we are not
insisting they convert, they can just cross-reference our code on their
file index to the appropriate files in their area.  However, we have done a
pilot in a department where no filing system really existed and used the
retention code as  a basis for the taxonomy.  The department then had the
choice of listing files under each code either numerically or
alphabetically.  The key is to have a file index that staff can use to
search for files.

This retention/classification schedule is really geared towards electronic
records as we hope to roll out software in the next year but it can also
work with hardcopy.  In preparation for the software, we have also
organized our department's electronic records on our department network
drive by the code, naming folders after the code etc. and organizing Word,
Excel documents that way.   It works well.

Rachel Larson
Co-ordinator, Records Management
Cameco Corporation