From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:17:52 -0800
Chris Flynn wrote:
> Deborah,
>
> Bill does address some of the more salient points (being from the third
> largest nuclear power in the world he tends to dwell on the technology
> side). The largest hinderence I see to maintaining current technolgy for 50
> years is going to be the abilty of folks to run it. How many of you folks
> remember your DOS commands? Did you you keep a copy of DOS for Dummies
> laying around so you can use it? What about the arcane key strokes? So you
> have a disk, do you remember how to run it?

Lots of versions of DOS around, and support info, and emulation
environments (in case you don't want to run it on "bare metal").
CP/M less so, but still possible.
Atari, CoCo, TRS-80, PET, Vic-20. C-64, and so forth- likewise.
Obscure stuff should be migrated onto reasonably robust storage media,
though.
Gotta fire up my C128 with IEE488 interface and SFD1001 floppy driveone
of these days, just for grins and giggles.
Cheers
Jay