From:
Chris Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2006 17:32:30 -0700
Permanent=forever

now you ask what is forever?
You are asking for the quantification of time. One of the great differences
between Archivists and Records Managers is the degree to which art playsa
role in our professoins. A Records Manager will seek to quantify everything.
Time is immutable and so all retention periods should reflect this
sentiment. Archivists share the vision of Ozymandeus. At some point far into
the future a traveller should "look upon our works and despair. Is there
value in this? yeah. Do most Records managers share that view? Probably not.
Are there permanent record sin every organization? if you ask an Archivist
the answer is yes. If you ask a Records Manager....

Increasingly we have seen a sentiment grow in this country that records have
a fixed value. There is a point at which the relative value of a record
excedes the cost of maintaining it. As you migrate records forward at what
point does the amount of time and money becme prohibitive? To an Archivist
the reality might be realized theat the record cannot be preserved. However
at that point a piece of their soul dies.

Is there room for art in information management?
Should be preserve records permanently? (Larry already keeps personnel
records 100 years)
Should we limit our view of forever?
must we?

Chris Flynn