From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:48:02 -0500
< One of my favorite quotes is "Power corrupts. PowerPoint corrupts
absolutely." (Vinton Cerf)>

I've also heard the expression "death by PowerPoint" as a description of
some presentations.  As a frequent speaker, I often feel I'm damned if I
do [use PowerPoint] and I'm damned if I don't.  I've received evals
complaining that I use too many slides and I've received evals
complaining that I use too few slides.  I've received evals complaining
that I have too much information on my slides and I've received evals
complaining that I don't have enough information on my slides.  All for
the same presentations.

I do know that I find it very disruptive for both myself as speaker and
for the other attendees when I have to pause while folks try to write
down what I'm saying or copy tables or write out definitions.  It is
much simpler to provide that information in handouts (as copies of the
slides) prior to the start of the presentation.  It is also less
disruptive to the flow of the presentation as a whole.

As for using the notes pages for more descriptive information, I think
it's a good idea if it is done properly.  Unfortunately, I tend to
abbreviate and shortcut Notes as memory joggers for me when I am
presenting (especially whole day and 2 day presentations and workshops).
To plan to write what amounts to a whole proceedings paper using the
Notes function is somewhat daunting, and, quite frankly, would add to
the cost of the presentation because of the increased time it would take
me to do so.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager