From:
Greg Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:19:02 +1000
Hi All

Julie wrote in response to Laurie:  I have to disagree, just a bit, and
argue that we are doing taxonomy development (or at least I am!).  It
seems to me that what you are coining as "BCS" would be considered a
portion of the overall taxonomy. As Carol put forth, the taxonomy is
typically at the organizational level and is made up of
department-specific information.

I disagree,  To say that a BCS only relates to a department and you should
use the term "taxonomy" for the overall business I believe will only
confuse the issue.

I suppose it depends at the end of the day as to whether an organisation
has moved to the 21st century and realised that the best way to manage
records (in most cases) is to manage the records in the format that they
were first created ie electronic.  If an organisation is attempting to
manage electronic records then it should be using an EDRMS.  If the
organisation hasn't got an EDRMS, unless it is small and has limited
resources, it needs to get serious about RM and commit and implement the
appropriate technology (ie EDRMS) whilst also addressing the other
important issues such as change management, training, support, project
management etc etc.

So if an organisation is using an EDRMS, the BCS needs to be developed and
implemented (hopefully before you implement the EDRMS!!!!!!).  Generally
speaking only the one BCS is still required across all departments
(dependent on requirements and the security capability of your EDRMS).  An
enterprise wide perspective (not a 'silo' Department perspective) should
be taken when developing the BCS.  Except for department specific
Functions/Activities, there will be common Functions/Activities that are
performed by each Dept such as those relating to supply, finance,
strategy, governance etc.  The organisation should not have to implement a
BCS for each dept in the EDRMS.

CSC is currently working with a large global company who is implementing a
federated EDRMS that will have staff accessing the system in approximately
20 countries.

If you have any issues defining the BCS from an enterprise wide
perspective to a business unit perspective then who may want to use the
following approach:

1.  The BSC which is developed as a standard to be used across the
organisation is called the Enterprise Classification Scheme (ECS).

2. When a business unit is implementing their federated instance of the
EDRMS, they take the ECS and determine what Level 1 and Level 2 terms are
appropriate to their business.  This is then called their BCS.

Maybe you can use ECS/BCS instead of Taxonomy/BCS if you need to implement
multiple BCSs.

Regards

Greg Wilson
Records Management Lead Consultant

"Preserving yesterday, managing today, preparing for tomorrow"
For more information on Records Management join the CSC Records Management
Community (CSC staff only) at:

https://portal.csc.com/wps/myportal/RMCommunity

Global Transformation Solutions
CSC Australia
Level 7, 570 St Kilda Road, Melbourne, VIC 3004
AUSTRALIA
Ph: 61-3-9536 4346
Fx: 61-3-9536 4553
Mob: 0401 714  270
Email: [log in to unmask]

written agreement or government initiative expressly permitting the use of
e-mail for such purpose.