From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:48:33 -0800
On 12/15/06, Roach, Bill J. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> >>Certified Records Manager - Records Manager as position averages
> $71,772<<
>
> Just curious.  Has anyone ever calculated the cost of living into the
> salary figures?  It might be an interesting exercise.  It might explain
> the large variance in salary.
>
> I used Sperling's BestPlaces Cost of Living Calculator
> http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=75000&city1=5120&city2=8840 for
> the following example.  Using a $75,000 salary in Minneapolis, MN as the
> base, below are the salary figures needed in other US cities:
> - $93,421 in Washington, DC
> - $59,211 in Boise, ID
> - $116,447 in New York, NY
> - $135,526 in San Francisco, CA
> - $57,237 in Bismarck, ND
> - $60,526 in Atlanta, GA
> - $75,658 in Chicago, IL
> - $57,237 in Houston, TX
> - $78,947 in Seattle, WA
> - $57,895 in St Louis, MO

Interesting... I think this would obviously figure in if you're looking to
relocate and you're in one of these positions.

But as a side thought... do you think a CRM (or person with equivalent
experience, etc) in SF earning $135K would say "heckyeah, I'll take $58K and
move to St Louis and feel that I'm being adequately compensated!"  Or
similarly, an employer who sees someone with an existing salary of $59K in
Boise requesting $98K in NY?

When you think about the "dynamics" of a person's resume and when it comes
to applying for the job following that type of a move, and a desire
potentially to move back into an area like SF, NY, or DC... would it
possibly impact the ability to negotiate for a the higher salary?

When you get down to the nits-and-nats of negotiating on a position, it's
not uncommon these days for a prospective employer to request you supply
your last 3 paycheck stubs as a part of the application process before a
final salary offer is made and negotiated for.  I've heard this from a
number of people recently... and sure, you can refuse, but no one has to
make you an offer either.

Just a thought on a balmy Friday morning.

Lesse....  "balmy" in ND terms in December.... that's above 30 with a wind
chill of less than 20 below?? =)  says Larry recalling his days in Beulah.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA