From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:15:34 -0800
On 12/15/06, John Milligan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Keep it short and sweet. I'd say "I'm resposible for getting the right
> records/information, to the right person, at the right time, in the right
> context, and doing that better, faster, cheaper."  That usually gets things
> started.

As some members of this Listserv can attest, I could never say anything that
had that many "Rights" in it without feeling I had compromised my position
and viewpoint... hecksakes, I even LIVE on the Left Coast. =)

But SERIOUSLY folks =|  ....  this is a VERY timely discussion!

We recently went through an exercise to develop a "90 Second Commercial"
presentation to deliver to a slice of management to explain what we do and
its value.   We were given virtually NO GUIDANCE as to form, format, method
of delivery, size and scope of audience, why it was being done... nothing.
Our entire Department, comprised of numerous service oriented functions was
asked to do the same thing, with each "functional area" doing their own.
Pretty interesting to see the range of forms and formats, and how some folks
forgot the objective... the what we do and its value.

It's pretty easy when you do this for a living to get wrapped around the
axle in the details and like Richard Smith, I tend to want to fall back into
the old trap of giving the details and citing the reasons, or like Gary
Grieme's Wiki example, getting diarrhea of the brain and trying to say it
all without taking a breath, but know it's better to go the Doug Smith or
Gary Link route of short and sweet for people that don't have a clue, or
aren't interested in walking a mile in my shoes... no matter how comfortable
they are to me. And believe me, I've tried Nina Osier's "pithy" type of
response, and been reminded that "resistance is futile, you WILL be
assimilated" =)

Herre's an edited version of what we ended up with:

Records Management provides guidance through training, awareness and
effective management of information assets to meet organizational needs.

We ensure information is processed in an eficient and accurate manner and is
readily available when needed to support the ongoing mission of the
organization.

Okay, this is what was on the printed version.. and we spoke from this, and
gave it a Doug Smith flavor adding in the word compliance (because everyone
wants to hear it, even though they aren't sure what it means)

NOW... a question for everyone.  Do you have a published Mission Statement
for RIM in your organization, and IF YOU DO... would you please send it to
me, so I can gather them all together (and without identifying you or your
organization) put them in a consolidated document and post them on the Yahoo
Group?

Please send them to [log in to unmask]

Larry

--