From:
"Mrozak, Suzanne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2006 09:03:20 -0500
Hi all! Since I'm relatively new to the list, I'll take a minute to
introduce myself. I work for a biotech company headquartered in
Cambridge, MA. We have 5,000 plus employees worldwide, work in a highly
regulated industry, and have no central RM function. Records and
information management is ad hoc. Most departments do something (mostly
keep stuff forever because they don't dare throw it away), but we have
no corporate RM policy and no corporate Records Retention Schedule/File
Plan. (No need to tell me how irresponsible this is.)

I am currently in a local IT department, supporting our Biomedical
Operations group. I'm not a records manager, but I'm the closest thing
our department has to one, and I give thanks daily to ARMA (I joined in
2003) and the good people on this listserve. What wonderful, generous,
and knowledgeable folks you are! You give me hope, as well as much
practical advice.

I have been working for several years now at the grass roots level
(which is the way our company works) to try to get attention focused on
the risks posed by our current laissez faire approach to RIM. It's been
slow going, but I think we are finally starting to move, albeit at a
snail's pace, in the right direction.

What brings me out of my lurking mode is an upcoming opportunity to ask
a question of our CEO. (The annual state of the company meeting is
coming up, and we are being asked to submit questions ahead of time.)
There are so many issues that we should be dealing with, of course, that
my mind is swimming. What I want is one concise question that could
potentially open the doors to further dialogue. It should contain just
enough background to give some context to the question, and the question
should be very focused. Even if I did have benchmarking information
(which I know I need, but haven't yet found), this would not be the
place for it.

I have until January 3rd to submit my question. I would very much
appreciate any suggestions you might have.

My thanks in advance to you all, and best wishes for a happy holiday
season.

From the mild, snow-free Northeast...

Suzanne Mrozak
Associate Director
Records and Document Management Services
Genzyme Corporation
500 Kendall Street
Cambridge, MA 02142
Telephone: 617-768-6549