From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:55:02 -0800
This isn't something I'd respond to "off the cuff"... and I'd ask them
either WHAT or WHY they want to know this.

You might want to mention something to them about the serious efforts and
expenses the largest players in the industry went to so they could gut the
NFPA Standard designed to provide protection to records and information
while in storage (NFPA232) and the lobbying they did to attempt to influence
changes in teh COde of Federal Regulations (36CFR, Part 1228 K) to force
NARA to weaken the Standards for storage of Federal Records by non Federal
Record Centers simply because they aren't willing to build their facilities
to meet these requirements.  Their argument was there isn't a "level playing
field" or that they "couldn't compete evenly for the business in that market
segment".

Let's see... you could also direct them to the newspaper articles such as
those surrounding the loss of the Time Warner tapes or the Bank of America
tapes, and the resultant PR Newswire releases from the large vendor who
intimated that if any data on those tapes was compromised, it was the
owner's fault for failing to encrypt the information contained on them...
not the fault of the company who lost them while they were in their custody
and they were being paid to provide "trusted service".

Or, you may want to provide some articles regarding the fire in Canada in a
facility caused by a service person soldering pipe on the roof of a storage
building during business hours and their failure to adequately protect the
holdings form fire, water, or smoke damage.

Lastly, there was a little fire in London last year where an entire
warehouse went up in flames, destroying all of the information assets that
belonged to the clients who had entrusted them to, and were paying for
service and protection to be provided by "the global leader in information
protection and services".  The jury is still out on the cause of the fire,
but irrespective of the cause, it's apparent the protection was woefully
inadequate to control the spread of fire.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA