From:
"C. Yasui" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 08:39:58 -0800
On 2 Feb 2007 at 5:28, Patrick Cunningham wrote:

I'm going to talk about working in an archives and how archives are
important for history -- and how I got to handle a Lincoln document, a
Walter Payton jersey (we were putting a game worn jersey in the State
Capitol cornerstone), and how I found a county record book once where
someone had cut out all of the Lincoln documents -- and thus why
protecting history is important.

Since kids are highly visual you could use images to show the importance and
excitement of historic events.   You can enlarge a series of 4 images (make them
exciting ones from history - people, places, buildings, documents, etc. that are visually
clear from a distance, i.e., without a lot of detail) and pin them on the board
(individually or together).  For example, have a photo of Sir Edmund Hillary atop of
Mt. Everest with a flag (or a famous person from your country). Then just ask them
what they think is going on in the images - who is this person, what did they do that
was so important, where are they, what year do they think it is, etc.?   Kids will be
waving their arms like flags to answer.  Then you can tell them what vital pieces of
information are stored in images and how archives are the treasure box of such
exciting information.  This exercise stimulates thinking and informs at the same time,
and is simply a lot of fun!

Catherine Yasui, M.A.
School of Library, Archival and Information Studies
University of British Columbia