From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:23:04 -0700
I am very well versed on the history.  Your passion does not bother me
in the least.  My father came back from WWII alive; so did one of his
brothers who served.  Political and economic mistakes were made at the
end of the war.  I believe General Patton had the right idea...; to
drive Russia back to its prewar borders.  However, political leaders of
the day had already expired a lot of political capital with their
citizens, who were very weary of war and very weary of making deep
economic and familial sacrifices to support the war..., and supporting
and supplying the allies on their side.  Regarding FDR; the US still had
to finish up with the war in the Pacific; no easy task.

I am not making excuses for Sir. W. Churchill or President Roosevelt.
I am just making a mention of some factors that may have been on their
minds during Yalta.  I still like Patton's idea.  Analogous to the
current war on terrorists, in my opinion.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 3/21/2007 1:02 PM >>>
Well, at the already mentioned here meeting from Yalta, in February,
1945,
Churchill and the soviet dictator Stalin agreed to some degrees of
power
influence in the Eastern European countries: Poland, Tchechoslovakia,
Hungary, Yugoslavia, Romania, Bulgary etc. It was like a bargain: here
have 10%, there I have 90% influence. Those country where Churchill
agreed
higher Soviet influence are nowadays, after 50 years, known as "former
communist states"... So, Churchill participated to that deal, but after
year and a half, he discovered in Fulton the "iron curtain" and the
criminal
Stalinist regime... For me, at least, Fulton is not a place for
declaring
war to communism, but a place where the mask of hypocrisy had fallen...

Sorry for passion:), but it hurts.

Bogdan-Florin POPOVICI, Ph.D.
Archivist
Brasov