From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:52:49 -0700
I would not use the term "optical disk"...; instead, how about using the
term "electronic and digital media."  You do not want to limit yourself
to using a relatively unstable media such as optical for important
information.  You also do not want to limit yourself, by the wording, to
continuing to use paper.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> [log in to unmask] 3/28/2007 8:22 PM >>>
Hello Records Gurus!
As a longtime lurker, I have posted only occasionally. Now the need
arises again and I am looking for some consideration of an issue all
of
us are dealing with. Scanning,  and the law. We are considering a
change
to our municipal code which will allow for the storage of scanned
copies
of original paper.
Our current code reads,
 " records that are worn or damaged, may be copied by photostatic,
photographic, microphotographic, microfilm or other mechanical process
which produces a clear, accurate and permanent copy."
We are thinking of adding "or optical disk imaging system process" in
order to capture documents scanned into electronic records. Is it too
narrow a descriptor?
Any suggestions on simple, elegant wording for this?

Carpe Records from sunny Alaska,
Toby

Toby Allen
Records Management Supervisor