From:
"Gerard J. Nicol" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:04:15 +1000
Hugh,

I personally do not believe there is a line up of vendors willing to assume
financial liability. What I think is that you are saying that there is so
people will think it is the norm and start doing it.

If there are such vendors please name them.

Your logic behind a vendor assuming financial responsibility and therefore
providing better service is flawed.

It is flawed because:

(1) If a vendor did lose a tape they would be less likely to disclose that
fact if they would be financially damaged. Instead they would probably try

and cover the loss up rather than notifying the customer so that they could
take appropriate action.

(2) In most cases the chain of custody is so weak at both ends of the
transaction that it would be difficult to prove who lost the tape(s).

I think many customers know that their vendors are inept but they are too
lazy to do anything about it.

Taking action after the fact is pointless. Taking the time to select a good
vendor and then being eternally vigilant of their performance is the only
solution to the problem.

The sad fact is not that some vendors are hopeless; it is that too many
customers are too hopeless to care.

Gerard