From:
Simon DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:35:58 -0400
Peter Kurilecz wrote on 3/31/07
> what freedoms are your referring to. Most if not all private sector
> organizations are faced with satisfying a multitude of laws and
> regulations along with the inevitable lawsuits.

Yes indeed private sector companies do have to satisfy a multitude of
laws and regulations, but how they satisfy those laws and regulations is
up to them. Meanwhile Government agencies have to follow laws,
regulations and guidelines that are more specific to how they are
allowed to manage their records.
For Example here in Florida we have General Retention Schedules that
tell us exactly for how long we have to keep our records and if we have
a new record classification that does not fit into one of the items in
the General Retention Schedules, than we have to ask the State for
approval for our new proposed retention.
I addition Florida has a state statue stating that state agencies
*shall* disposition records when they meet their designated retention,
that means that we have to keep a justification in our records if we
want to keep a group of records longer than the state approved
retention.
Furthermore we have a regulation requiring us to scan our records, that
are used as the record copy, in TIFF 6.0 Format with 300 DPI.
Ultimately it comes from that the public has a right know what their
government is doing and that is why the government sector is more
heavily regulated to protect the public right to know.
I am not saying that private sector is free to do what they want to do,
I am just saying they have more freedoms as the government sector.

> that may have been true 10 years ago but finding sponsorship is not
> the problem it once was. today private sector organizations recognize
> they have a problem and that it needs to be solved.

Yes the problem is recognized, but what is not recognized is that a RM
based solution is needed. Most people see this as an IT problem.
So if you want to have success with implementation of your RM solution
you better have a sponsor of the solution in the right place of the
agency/company.

> Actually I'm seeing this done more in a collaborative mode

Yes collaboration is needed, but a lead needs to be recognized. You ever
heard of too many (Chefs) cooks in the kitchen.
I bet I am not the only RM professional that did not get the respect
required from an IT professional to move a project forward to the
desired goal.

> In many cases the GC is calling for the implementation of email
> management because that is where the smoking guns are found during
> discovery. No need to get buy in from the GC/Legal Department in many
> cases they are pushing the others to come up with the solution.

True in some cases the GC is recognizing the need for a RM solution to
the E-mail Management problem, but in some cases the GC is satisfied
with the IT solution that keeps all E-mails forever. That is why I said
"Another Stakeholder that we **sometimes** need to get buy in from is
the General Counsel or Legal Department"

> My original point dealt with the need to analysis of the email traffic
> so that one could come up with a management based upon objective data.
> Developing policy and procedures without knowing how the system is
> used is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Absolute true. Just want to caution to not only look at the size of the
accounts or the number of E-mails received each day.
Like Peter said in his earlier E-mail " How do those groups use email?"
Meaning how many E-mails are actually related to official business
transaction and what are the different business transaction they relate
to. Like I said before a user might receive an average of 100+ E-mails,
but only a average of 10-20 needs to be managed (Don't also forget I
indicated that this can heavily vary depending on the user).

Simon De Witt
Sunny Florida