From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 10:57:03 -0700
http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/04/26/17OPentinsight_1.html?source=NLC-BUS&cgd=2007-05-02

I've been closely following this whole issue of the push to come up with a
National system to collect health information about citizens in electronic
forms and have found it all quite interesting. While much is being said
about concerns for privacy and protecting PHI and PII, little if anything is
being said about the issues we as RIMs are all familiar with:

Format
Media
Conversion
Obsolescence
Migration
Persistent Access
Long-Term Preservation

And as I have said for a number of years, who bears the costs associated
with compliance with any potential regulations and all of the above issues?
What happens when a Doctor leaves a medical group and joins another, when a
medical group changes association with a hospital, when an insurance company
changes hands or merges, when a hospital changes ownership... in all of
these cases, a caregiver or patient may want records moved from one provider
to another, but who bears that cost? And who ensures the prior records are
deleted from the storage system, backups, etc?

What Kaiser is experiencing now, is similar to what happened in the UK a
year ago
http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/2017

http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/1185

And the "pain points" being identified now, are the same we should have been
talking about since Katrina
http://www.computerworld.com/blogs/node/994

Larry
--