From:
Steven Whitaker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 08:14:30 -0700
Exactamundo Tom!  Stay up on your soapbox.    Retention policies are for
the information; the content.  Describe the systems, input, output,
relationships, and the media and usage in the description fields.   The
survey questions seemed analagous to a political party sending out a
survey purely designed to support an agenda.

In this case, I had the distinct impression that the survey designers
were trying to 'manufacture' data to support systems to micro-manage
email.  Of course, then all the unwashed masses of RIM folks would then
need expensive training and more seminars.

I wonder how deep ARMA is into this?   I always thought AIIM was too
vendor-driven; I would hate to see ARMA sell out in a similar fashion.

Best regards, Steve
Steven D. Whitaker, CRM
Records Systems Manager; City of Reno

>>> Tom Owens <[log in to unmask]> 5/17/2007 5:39 AM >>>
I just finished the Cohasset survey yesterday.  I stopped twice because
of what I perceived as poorly worded and 'agenda' type questions.   I
wonder if anyone else had the same reaction to the survey?

My biggest complaint was the number of questions that had the
underlying implication that records management and records retention
policy is somehow different for different formats.  Questions such as do
you have a records retention policy for email?  voice mail? IM? (Yes/NO)
imply that if you don't have a policy that specifically addresses
records in these formats/media, you should.

Records Management and retention is, at the heart,  the art of managing
records, regardless of format, media, repository style, type based on
the business purpose of the records.

Addressing records retention based on any media or format is simply
incorrect.

Further in the survey is a question addressing the responsibility of
determing records retention. It lists four entitie but doesn't even list
the one that is most important to the operation and that is the record
owner.  How can any other operation, IT, RM, Legal, Admin staff, or
repository manager know if a record is important unless it comes from
the business?  Doesn't make sense.

Some questions force you to choose between two wrong answers or choose
an answer where you may not have expertise.  I thing the questions
concerning compliance are especially suspect.

Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox.  but I has such a bad reaction to the
survey, I was just wondering if anyone else had a similar reaction.

Tom Owens
Records & Information Analyst