From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 20:41:18 -0400
On 5/17/07, DuWayne Headrick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> I am meeting with our IT folks next week to discuss archiving of IM.

first of all abandon the term "archiving" no IM message that I know
has archival value. you are talking about storage. IT co-opted the
term archive years ago to mean inactive.

> Would llike the views of others that are finished or are in the process
> of doing something with IM.  I'll also accept the views of others who
> want to put in their 2 cents worth.  Thank you.

My main concern is why is a school district using IM? If the
information is substantive in nature it should be captured as an email
or some other document type. IM is like a telephone call in my
opinion, used for quick questions and answers such as "want to do
lunch?" "yes" or "do you know where x is?"

The first thing to determine is how and why IM is being used and is
there a more appropriate tool/method available. Just remember as a
school district you are most probably subject to your state's FOI laws
and storing the IM messages makes them subject to it.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va