From:
Simon DeWitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 10:12:09 -0400
Excerpt from http://blogs.msdn.com/ecm/archive/2007/05/30/microsoft-office-sharepoint-server-2007-is-dod-5015-2-certified.aspx

The SharePoint product team worked together with Applied Information Sciences, Inc, a Microsoft Managed Gold Partner, to develop the extra features needed for certification.  AIS was instrumental in helping us understand the DoD 5015.2 standard, and they were great at rapidly developing on top of MOSS 2007.  So if you’d like to learn a little more about what it was like to use the SharePoint platform, check out some of their thoughts.

We still have some work to do to get the pack that was used for certification out to everyone (Later this year, Microsoft will make the pack available for free to customers using MOSS 2007)  and we have several whitepapers/code samples in production around some of the more compelling features.  So stay tuned for more updates on that!

Thanks,

Adam Harmetz, ECM Program Manager
__________________________

Sounds to me that they had to do heavy customization to receive the certification.
I would suggest to wait and let some of the over eager test the SharePoint 2007 Server (Once they finally release that version)before everybody jumps on the Microsoft bandwagon. But it still does not sound like a superior RM product right of the shelf.

Now Jesse regarding the Chapter 4 Requirements.
The red herring are already identified under Chapter 3.
Chapter 4 of DOD 5015.2 ensures that a RMA is able to provide the Security and Audits needs that are, in my opinion, needed for a RMA. I believe in most cases you just don’t want to share all the information (HR Files, Legal Case Files, etc..) you would like to manage with your RMA with the entire Agency/Company. Now I also know that the requirements are high and a little bit specific to the needs of the Federal Government, but that would be the same with Chapter 2. So if we are saying that Chapter 4 is useless because they are specific Federal Governments needs than the entire certification would be useless, because Chapter 2 is also specific to Federal Governments needs.

So in short what I am saying is that if you have a need for a RMA that you want to feel save with to manage sensitive information (HR Files, Legal Case Files, etc..,) than I would recommend you to pick a RMA from the list of RMA that are DOD 5015.2 with Chapter 4 certified.

Simon De Witt

Tampa Bay Water scans all email for viruses,
worms, and inappropriate material and blocks email
deemed harmful or inappropriate. Email service is
provided to Tampa Bay Water users for business
purposes.