From:
Bridgette Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2007 08:55:09 -0400
Nolene,

We have the same issue in the Archives here (as well as the Records
Center). My issue with binders is - not only are they bulky, space
wasters, and keep our boxes from fitting in our shelves - but the
binders are usually vinyl because those are much cheaper ($10-$15
compared to $25-$30). What does this mean for the offices and for our
concerns? The type/ink jet/laser printing stick to the inside of the
binders, causing the first and last pages to be ruined and illegible,
not to mention the off-gassing. Long-term storage (because many of these
contain minutes) is impossible with vinyl binders.

I agree with everyone else about having the offices transfer the
materials in the binders into folders. I especially agree with the
person who suggested the office keep their files in archival folders.

I have suggested to people in offices here to use the following tactic
when transferring binder materials into folders:

- Use the binder title as the main title of the folder, place a colon
after, and then put the section title next. This part of the folder
label should be in the center of the folder tab.

- On the right side of the folder tab, write the span dates of the
records in that folder / section.

- There should be one folder for each section. If the section will not
fit in one folder, they should be noted, "folder 1;" "folder 2."

- Keep the section dividers in the corresponding folders to assist in
indicating the order of the folders.

I have a lot of resistance to this procedure as well. I am grateful to
others who have posted and indicated what a great money-saver it is for
offices to reuse the binders.

Best wishes,

Bridgette

Bridgette A. Kelly