From:
Jay Maechtlen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JAY & SUSAN MAECHTLEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:44:10 -0700
Linda Buss wrote:
> And how do you handle those who box up their stuff and take it with them?
> How do you know what they have, and if they have records that should have
> been destroyed?  In this day of thumb drives, it is frightening to think of
> the items floating around.  Ditto with emailed files.

Hopefully you have a policy in place that each employee has signed,
stating how company information and documents are to be handled.
The last couple of times I was laid off, the company provided boxes for
us for our personal stuff.
I don't believe either place inspected the boxes I took with me. I don't
remember how computer and network access was handled. In one case my
computer was just set aside, as I used it again when I came back as a
consultant.

When I was just leaving at the end of one contract, there was no
management contact at all.
I had to (I chose to) go through my stuff, make sure everyone knew what
they needed to, everything was filed correctly, and tossed the temp
stuff in the shred bin. Security? Not!

Cheers
Jay
(still looking for honest techwriting or related work here in SoCal)

--
Jay Maechtlen
626 444-5112 office