From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Oct 2007 08:58:08 -0600
Nicole:

I have competed for and been awarded consulting contracts that required the
CDIA+ to even bid. I was able to leverage the CDIA+ into becoming a subject
matter expert for several education/credentialing programs, including AIIM's
ECM and ERM certificates, the CompTIA CDIA+ 2002 update, and the TAWPI ICP.
It has given me additional credibility when I speak on document imaging,
process analysis, and system design and implementation. In short, I have
found it very valuable. But I may be biased as I am also one of the few
regular instructors for the CDIA+ in the US.

Kitty:
Yes, you still have to know the math formulas, but they only comprise 10-15
questions on the exam. I used to tell a story to the effect that it was
theoretically possible to pass the CDIA+ exam without doing a single math
problem - then I had a colleague last year tell me she passed the exam doing
exactly that! (Note that this required her to almost ace the rest of the
exam - I *don't* recommend this approach) The more important bits are the
process analysis, project management, and implementation information.

Everyone:
There are a number of study guides available, two of which are very good.
One of them is from @Doc (http://www.atdoc.com) and I used it for my public
CDIA+ classes until this year. I switched to Specialized Solutions' book
only because I updated it this year. I also re-recorded their video-based
training, but again, @Doc offers a similar product that I haven't seen but
would imagine is as god as their training manual. DataVault offers training
and materials as well but I haven't seen any of their stuff so cannot
comment on the quality.

Some of the AIIM and ARMA chapters do courses as well; this chapter year
we'll probably do another class in Denver, and last year I did courses for
ARMA Edmonton, ARMA Calgary, and ARMA Dallas. So check with your local
chapter, and if they aren't but are interested, drop me a note and if I
can't do it I'll put them in contact with one of the other instructors.

For anyone else interested, I am happy to answer questions online or offline
at [log in to unmask] You can also check the list archives - I think this
thread comes up 1-2x/year.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins