From:
Bruce White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2007 09:50:05 -0500
On 10/23/07, Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> You should obtain certifications that allow you to stand out from other folks. For
> example if you are involved with heavy project management you might consider
> the PMP designation or if you have an interest in privacy consider the privacy
> designation (RayC can tell more about that)
Thanks for the promo PK.  I've been a Project Management Professional
(PMP) for approximately five years; one of the best decisions I've
made, besides of course pursuing my MBA and CRM. The PMP is becoming
one of the most recognizable credentials internationally, not just the
U.S.  Many organizations, including some agencies in the federal
government, now require project managers to have a PMP.  Some of the
larger government contracts are now stipulating that the lead project
manager have a PMP.  Average salaries for PMPs are in the $100K to
$110K range, although I've seen some much higher.

An additional benefit I've found is that the PMP has provided me with
immediate credibility with our IT staff.  They may not understand
records management but many of the managers understand project
management.  Provides us with a common language from which to be begin
a dialogue.

There are some similarities between the PMP and the CDIA+ (as well as
the ERM/ECM certificates) in that they are centered around project
management.  The big difference (other than the recognition) is that
the CDIA+ (and the ERM/ECM certificates) is(are) essentially focused
on specific specific applications (based on what I've read and been
told) where as the PMP is geared toward managing all projects in
general.  The principles I learned can be applied to any project,
whether it be IT, records management, imaging, ECM, etc.

That being said, the PMP has some prerequisites before you can sit for
it, including both education and prior project management experience.
The test, which is based primarily on the Project Management Book of
Knowledge (PMBOK), is extremely challenging.  And like other major
credentials, there is a requirement for continuing education.

If you are interested, send me a note off-line or visit the PMI
website at http://www.pmi.org/CareerDevelopment/Pages/Default.aspx.

--
Bruce L. White, CRM, PMP
Houston, TX