From:
Elisheba Muturi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 08:20:18 -0700
Susan,
  Having just started a newly created position as a records coordinator in a Canadian crown corporation, I have been taking my organization through the process of policy development and grappling with the same issues that you have - defining the scope of the policy. I came across these guidelines which recommend having an overarching policy framework which covers the six areas of: ownership, sharing, quality, description, security and compliance.
  http://www.greenchameleon.com/uploads/KRIM_Policy_development_guidelines.pdf

  This requires developing subpolicies for different components - records management, library/shareable assets and web content, information security and privacy, records discovery, intellectual property etc. I have found this approach very useful - encompassing and comprehensive demonstrating that information management entails responsibility over all information holdings but delineating the different components that can be developed over time. This approach has been well received because every business unit can relate to one of the six areas - be it legal services, IT, e-commerce, research group, publishing etc so this is a framework that addresses the whole organization's needs and adds value to the way we work. While I have began with records management, eventually, I want to respond to the overwhelming demand for non-record information/knowledge management - and like you, I am interested in samples of such policies.

  Cheers,
  Elisheba Muturi, MLIS, MAS

LNI Consultants <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I haven't posted to the list in a while so I'll re-introduce myself.

I am the National Records Manager for a legal firm that provides legal services to Government agencies here in Australia. We have recently implemented a records management system and are about to begin the planning for implementing an electronic document management sustem.

I have been asked to find out if anyone has a sample IM policy that they
would be prepared or if a template exists for creating one. I have
looked online and found several examples but, in reality, they seem to
be records management policies.

Which raises the question - what should IM policies cover? My Director
is of the opinion that our IM policy should not include Library or
Knowledge resources which really just leaves records. In this case, then
I think that we need to update our existing records policy and also that
we need to have something articulated about a requirement to share
corporate knowledge assets.

I'd be interested to know what other organisations are doing. If anyone
can point me to a good example, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks
Susan (Frost)