From:
Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:10:34 -0600
Hi Etta,

Not sure how much Nancy Flynn and Randolph Kahn's book, "E-Mail Rules",
might help here, but you could give it a shot (available from the ARMA
bookstore or most major booksellers). I don't think I've run across any
specifically for non-profits, but I have a stack a foot high on my desk of
policies from
- State governments
- Local governments
- Federal government agencies
- Universities
- Private sector organizations

All of which I found using Google.

Some of the issue also relates to the functionality the particular solution
provides. For example, I used to use the Captaris Mailstore for Exchange
product (full disclosure: I worked there at the time; I no longer have any
formal relationship with Captaris) and that solution stored the attachments
as part of the message, but there are others that do not.

Re: thread vs. message - hate to give you the standby answer, but here it
is: it depends. Whatever you document in your policy should be fine as long
as you adhere to it. I think I lean slightly to the side of saving each
message, only because in many organizations the approach to messages is to
send a new message each time rather than continuing the thread. No thread,
no point in saving only the last message.

Re: duration to keep email: Email is not a series, it's a medium. An email
that deals with a contract may have a different retention period than an
email that deals with personnel issues. That means someone has to go through
the emails, just as they have to go through paper documents, or Word
documents, or PDFs.

You might also watch this space for announcements about the email course I
am developing for AIIM which will have dedicated modules for records
management, discovery, policies, storage, etc. It should be available early
next year.

Hope this helps - feel free to contact me directly at [log in to unmask]
or (303) 574-1455 if I can provide any additional assistance.

Regards,

Jesse Wilkins