From:
George Darnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:02:04 -0500
Folks,

This question always sparks a good discussion.  I wonder if other professionals have as much trouble defining the thing that is the purpose of their profession, e.g., crime for law enforcement officers?  As long as we have strayed from the original request for a definition of record that would be suitable for a school system in Alberta, let me offer a somewhat metaphysical definition that goes beyond institutional records.

A record is evidence of a state of nature that can be interpreted by a person separated from the state by space or time to gain an approximate understanding of it.

Thus we try to gain some understanding of dinosaurs from the fossils they left behind.

George D. Darnell, CRM
703-613-0056