From:
"Piotrowski, Charles" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 16:48:00 -0500
We did the following (presented here at a high level!):

1. IAM (Information Asset Management, a.k.a. Records Management)
Department created and distributed guidelines for shredding to all the
leaders. Message was "we have to do this." (While there wasn't then a
state law, there was one in the works. In any event, my company saw the
best practice of this work, law or no law)
2. The IAM Department surveyed all the company supervisors asking them
if they had a shredder already, estimate how much shredding the do (and
would do given the new guidelines), how much time they spent shredding,
and if there was a service would they use it. (we asked other questions)

3. Analyzed survey results and worked with a NAID certified vendor for
estimating cost
4. Presented program proposal to company officers in person at officer
meeting. (Approved, of course!)
5. Secured shredding vendor.
6. Email note to all supervisors in all buildings where service was
needed announcing program, instructing them to use guidelines and
provided contact info
7. Published same note to leaders on IAM Department site on company
intranet
8. Published guidelines for using shredding service on IAM Department
site on company intranet
9. Asked for, and got, a building contact person to be our eyes and ears
in the buildings. (If the bin is full or report back location issues,
etc)
10. Records Manager met in person with most leaders to explain shredding
program and what must go in shredding bins.
11. Taped shredding criteria on all shredding bins.
12. Records Manager must annually evangelize shredding program and
guidelines to all leaders and employees via their team meetings.
13 Records Manager at least annually checks in with building
coordinators
14. Records Manager - About every 3 months - puts a reminder in our
internal newsletter to all employees reminding folks to use the bins.

Thus, we did a combination of Person to People in officer meetings and
team meetings, email messages to leaders, email to all users, company
intranet, company newsletter and posting on the bins.
I would have loved to do a movie on our intranet showing the decision
making process for using the shredding bins over the recycling bins, but
didn't have resources.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions!
Good luck!

Chuck Piotrowski
CVPS
www.cvps.com