From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 15:56:21 -0800
Ah, perhaps I was unclear.

Multiple copies of a commercial publication are not records they are just
that publications. A phone book issued  or sold by say, Qwest or Verizon, a
commercial entity,  to an entity not themselves, public or private, is a
publication, a product, and has no record value unless it is regarded as an
artifactual/archival record, such as a historical society might. But for
Qwest or Verizon itself, an original first run example of this publication
or the next instance of publication is archival and would be/should be
scheduled as a record within that organization.

Likewise,  in government and in large private companies,  we issue internal
phone directories, and these provide evidence of who worked where, when.
They have historical value to the agency, and possibly to outside entitites
as well.  The original, record copy of these, is a record in the office
responsible for issuing it. Distributed copies are publications, which may
be made available for sale as product or freely issued, and are not records
in ond of themselves unless it is the last remaining example. These of
course, are not standard commercial telephone directories, but the same
relationship of publisher to publication exists.

The office of record is a key premise here.  Who has responsibility for this
entity?  Are there any legal, fiscal, administrative, or historical
considerations to retain it? Does it document a person, process or entity
important to the organization or provide evidence of the accountability,
product and workings of the office of record or the organization itself?
Then, depending on what definition you have assigned to "record" or
"information" the issue of whether it is a record of publication or a
publication itself is pertinent.  If it is a record, it may or may not have
any legal requirements ordering its retention.

Private companies often find that internal archives make good use of such
examples of old phone directories kept by the issuing office for marketing
exhibits and display purposes documenting the growth of the business.

But one must make a distinction between the distributed publication copies
(product) and the record of publication which may look exactly the same.
This is usually done most easily by identifying the office of record. If it
is a purchased publication you have no obligation to keep it beyond the
useful life of the product.

Elizabeth Fairfax.