From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:31:48 -0800
On Jan 17, 2008 11:31 AM, Tracey Black <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Any Lawyers on this list want to weigh in on this?

No lawyer here, and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night either...

FWIW, most definitions of PII include the exposure of 3 elements of
identifying information... typically, one is name and if any two others are
included, it's defined as PII.  (birth date, SSN, address, DL number,
account numbers, etc.)

In the example you've cited (title, age) I don't see that as being a
violation of PII... but if what you stated is true that there is only one
employee per classification and the org chart listing title and name is
available, then one could easily extrapolate and determine who is how old.
That still doesn't constitute a breach of privacy, but it's "bad form" in my
mind... and I don't understand the value behind releasing such information
publicly.  I could see how a Board of Directors or Shareholders may want to
see it do assist with evaluating need for succession planning possibly.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA