From:
David Ives <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:47:42 -0500
Hi Brent!

I helped implement a bar coding system at a former employer.  I think the
potential benefits definitely depend on the records being tagged.  The
implementation that I was a part of was at a insurance company.  They
needed to access the files on a weekly sometimes daily basis as new
information came in concerning potential clients.  The problem was that
whether they were being reviewed or added to by someone most of the time
the files were never actually in the cabinet they were supposed to be.  So
the barcode system made a lot of sense.  The files were kept in a
controlled room where every filed was scanned out to someone.  So then
when a file was needed you went in the system and could see who it was
with, reducing the long wild goose chases that wasted a lot of everyone's
time and therefore money.  Not to mention the HUGE improvement in customer
service and turn around time as well, overall making it well worth the
investment in my opinion.  It was quite a change for people but I don't
think many would disagree with the advantages and positive results from
putting in the time and effort.

Hope that helps a little!

Good luck!
David

Hello All...

Just would like to know the advantages of using barcodes when dealing with
paper records.

Thanks

present, place UNSUBSCRIBE RECMGMT-L or UNSUB RECMGMT-L in the body of the
message.