From:
"McLallen, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2008 14:22:31 -0700
Since other people were re-introing here last week, and since I post so
seldom, I'll do a quick re-intro before I get to the substance of my
e-mail.

I have been in one area or another of RIM since 1978, having started as
a microfilm camera operator (planetary, rotary and step & repeat) at the
University of Northern Colorado.  For the past 21 years, I have been in
the Records Management office for the Boulder Colorado county
government.  For all intents, I *am* the Records Management office - my
supervisor is technically my back-up, but she has lots of other areas
that take most of her time, so I'm pretty much on my own.  I am part of
a group called "Content Management Systems" which includes GIS, Web, ECM
and me.  While I am peripherally involved with the ECM side, mostly I
deal with paper.  Our records storage has been outsourced, so my main
function is basically as a go-between - getting new files transferred to
the vendor, retrieving files, controlling purging and shredding, etc.

So, to my question:  Lately, we've discussed "big bucket" retention
schedules and we've discussed "functional" retention schedules.  Are
they the same thing?  If not, what is the difference?  I've seen "big
bucket" also referred to as "flexible" and "aggregate", but is it also
"functional" (name-wise, that is.)  It seems that we have twenty
different names for two or three different types of retention schedules.
Anybody got enough of a handle that they can define what is who?

Doing this for 30 years and still tearing my hair out...
David R. McLallen
Information Technology/Records Management
P.O. Box 471
Boulder CO 80306
303-413-7788
Fax: 303-441-3983